Project Case Study: – Lilyfield Orange Grove Plaza Concrete Spalling Repairs
CLIENT: Einstein Investments Pty Ltd
Address: Corner of Balmain Road and Helena Street, Lilyfield NSW 2040
SCOPE OF WORK
The project scope of works involved concrete cancer repair and inspection works and can be summarised as below:
- Site Establishment
- Inspection of the suspended slab balconies, lintels and perimeter beams
- Review of existing drawings
- Preparation of a detailed scope of works for the required concrete spalling repairs
- Concrete spalling repair works
- Site Clean-up & Handover
Concrete Spalling Works
Concrete spalling works were carried out to the selected areas identified in the report in accordance with the manufacturers instructions and engineer’s directions:
- Removal of spalled, cracked and damaged section of concrete and beyond the corroded reinforcing bar to expose minimum 50 mm of un-corroded steel bars.
- Removal of rust, scale, concrete, dust and other loose and deleterious material over the corroded reinforcing bar
- Engineer assessment of the loss of material within the corroded steel reinforcements and specification of the installation of new steel reinforcing bars
- Cleaning of the exposed concrete surface and removal of any dust, loose material and surface contamination.
- Application of steel reinforcement corrosion protection coating using lightweight structural repair mortar in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Reinstatement of the removed concrete with corrosion inhibiting structural repair mortar in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
- Products used: Fosroc Nitobond HAR, Nitobond Zincrich and Renderoc HB40
Balustrade Removal Works
Balustrades were removed from the balconies using a grinder. Boom lifts were used to provide safe access with fall protection. The balustrades were cut into sections to allow easier handling and transportation.
Murphy’s managed the risks to health and safety by inducting project personnel before beginning work. High risk project hazards included working at heights, the use of mobile plant equipment such as boom lifts and the use of power tools and hazardous chemicals. For each work activity, a safe work method statement was developed and reviewed by the project team.
As the work took place in a well populated suburban environment, temporary site fencing and signage was used around the permiteter of the site to secure the work area. The site manager monitored site safety controls throughout the project and completed formal weekly inspections. Project personnel were trained in safe working at heights, operating boom lifts and supervisory staff trained in first aid.
Benefits offered to Client during Project Works;
- Isolation and security of project work area
- Engineer inspections and confirmations of work quality
- Meetings with client throughout the project works for inspections and review of progress
- The works were completed with no safety or environmental incident